There are numerous benefits to publishing with the not-for-profit (and non-profit affiliated) SHERM Journal, a proud partner of a highly reputable academic publisher. These benefits include (but are not limited to) a non-restrictive licensing agreement, free advertising, and an open-access platform. Read the full list below to see why SHERM is the best place to publish your research.
The Benefits of Publishing with SHERM:
1) SHERM is a full member* of Crossref, a metadata organization that specializes in making your research accessible, visible, and citable throughout the entire world. As members of Crossref, every published article and its content will:
- receive a DOI number unique only to your article even if it appears on different websites, which will make it easier for other researchers to find, link, and cite your publication;
- be registered in an international metadatabase that makes your research accessible to tens of thousands of organizations and other systems, which makes it easier for others to credit and cite your work;
- be included in an international reference database,which records the number of times your publication is cited and indicates where each citation occurs.
*SHERM's membership to Crossref will begin in 2019 when the journal starts publishing and disseminating articles.
2) Crossmark Links: each article will have a permanent webpage dedicated solely to the authors and their article. Included on each webpage will be a "Crossmark" link, which allows authors and readers to see metadata information about each article, including the type of peer-review and plagiarism check conducted on the article, as well as updates, supplemental data, corrections, or retractions to each article.
3) Dedicated Webpage to Authors: each article's webpage will also include the author's bio with a link to the author's faculty page or personal website (if applicable), a link to their ORCiD account (if applicable), and a link to other publications from the author (if applicable).
4) Free Google Advertising: every issue of SHERM will be advertised (free of charge) using Google AdWords, which includes the following:
- each issue of SHERM will appear on "Google partner sites (also called the Google Display Network) [which] are a group of more than 2 million websites and mobile apps that partner with Google to show ads. [The SHERM] ad is automatically matched to related websites and apps;"
- the advertisement will also appear on all relevant Google search results in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Greenland, and Iceland, potentially reaching tens of millions of viewers
5) Free Facebook & Instagram Marketing: after the release of every issue of SHERM, a free advertisement announcing each publication will appear in news feeds throughout Facebook and affiliated social media sites in the United States, Canada, and Europe using multiple formats, including:
- Facebook mobile news feeds, desktop news feeds and right column placements, marketplace banners and instant articles, Instagram feeds and Instagram stories, Audience Network third-party websites and apps, and Facebook messenger.
Each news feed specifically targets audience members who show an interest in the same areas of study that SHERM specializes in, as well as those who are affiliated with religious organizations and institutions, universities, colleges, academic departments and faculty members, academic conferences, professional researchers and writers, and other academic journals.
**As a supplemental advertising option for our scholars, upon notice of your article's acceptance for publication, each author will have the opportunity to advertise their specific article on both Google and Facebook for a one-time $50 donation to SHERM. In addition to advertising each issue of SHERM more generally, this supplemental option will specifically advertise only the publication of your article as a press release to the general public. Because SHERM is a not-for-profit journal, the $50 donation is simply to cover the cost of advertising fees from both Google and Facebook. None of the money goes to SHERM directly. Remember: SHERM will never ask its authors for money to publish with us. This supplemental advertising is completely optional and is simply another way for scholars to increase exposure to their personal research.**
6) Free Book Advertising: authors whose articles have been accepted for publication in SHERM can have up to two of their published books promoted and advertised (free of charge) both on the SHERM website and in the SHERM journal immediately following their article.
7) Wipf and Stock Publishers: we are a proud member of Wipf and Stock Publishers, which is one of the largest global publishers of academic work related to religious studies, history, philosophy, theology, ethics, linguistics, and ministry.
8) Abstracting & Indexing: in addition to being indexed by Crossref, every issue of SHERM is submitted for abstracting and indexing to both EBSCO and ProQuest. EBSCO is the leading provider of research databases, e-journals, magazine subscriptions, e-books and discovery services to libraries of all kinds. As the industry leader, EBSCO provides libraries and research institutions with the essential academic research database for peer-reviewed, full-text journals.
Likewise, ProQuest is the largest, multidisciplinary, full-text database available in the market today providing people with access to millions of much-coveted full text articles from thousands of scholarly journals.
In addition, Google Scholar automatically indexes every article of SHERM and allows researchers to locate and cite your work from one convenient search engine. Google Scholar will also populate your research alongside other related articles, as well as give authors the opportunity to track who is citing their research.
All articles published in SHERM will also generate in the global digital infrastructure known as ORCiD, which allows authors to obtain a free, unique identifier that attaches their publications to their names in order to disseminate their research on a global scale.
All articles will also be indexed in Academia.edu, which is a scholastic platform for academics to share research papers that over 25 million unique visitors a month.
Every article will likewise be indexed in Mendeley, an Elsevier program for sharing research papers, discovering research data, and collaborating online within the academic community.
9) Editorial Advisory Board: our editorial team is staffed by some of the most influential and reputable scholars in their respective fields of study. As religious specialists, many of them already know what it takes to publish academic books and journal articles, meaning their feedback and insights on your research (where applicable) will be invaluable.
10) Open-Access Advertising: every article that is published with SHERM will appear on or be referenced in multiple scholarly and social media websites, including (but not limited to) the following:
Especially with the different social media platforms, which are used to make public announcements and press releases about your article, each of these open-access websites will help to maximize the number of potential readers and citers of your research.
11) Higher Impact Factor: because of our open-access policy, copyright retention and non-restrictive licensing, indexing venues, and advertising practices, publishing with SHERM will significantly increase the number of people who will see, read, and potentially cite your research (its "impact factor").
In fact, a study of open-access journals found that articles posted to Academia had a 16% increase in citations from other academic institutions within the first year, 51% increase within three years, and 69% increase within five years. The same study went on to conclude, "Free-access articles tend to have more citations than pay-for-access articles. This citation advantage has been observed in a number of studies, spanning a variety of academic fields....The estimated size of the citation advantage varies across and even within studies, but is often measured to be between 50% and 200% more citations for open access articles."
Additionally, one randomized controlled trial of open-access articles found that "articles assigned to open access were associated with 89% more full text downloads (95% confidence interval 76% to 103%), 42% more PDF downloads (32% to 52%), and 23% more unique visitors (16% to 30%) ... than subscription access articles in the first six months after publication." A second controlled trial found that "articles placed in the open access condition (n=712) received significantly more downloads and reached a broader audience within the first year."
Another longitudinal bibliometric analysis of open-access (OA) publications concluded, "We found strong evidence that, even in a journal that is widely available in research libraries, OA articles are more immediately recognized and cited by peers than non-OA articles published in the same journal. OA is likely to benefit science by accelerating dissemination and uptake of research findings." In a separate logistic regression analysis, another study found that open-access articles "are cited significantly more than articles in the same journal and year that have not been made OA." Another analysis of citation rates found that "the mean number of citations to offline articles is 2.74, and the mean number of citations to online articles is 7.03, an increase of 157%."
For more details on SHERM journal's impact factor, click here.
12) Not-for-Profit, No-Fee Charging: not only will readers and researchers have free access to your publication, which means there is a greater potential for your work to have a larger impact on the academic community, but authors will never be asked for money to publish their research with SHERM. There are a significant number of “predatory” publishing companies that attempt to take advantage of scholars and their research by charging fees; we are not one of them.
13) Non-Profit Affiliation: SHERM is affiliated with the non-profit group, FaithX Project, which is a 501(c)3 GuideStar Silver participant, meaning that any and all donations to SHERM are tax deductible. Simply specify that you would like your donation to help support SHERM. Learn how to donate to SHERM here.
14) Peer-Reviewed: your article will have the benefit of being categorized as an official publication in an official academic journal, having been peer reviewed by actual scholars and academics related to your research topic.
15) Published Alongside Other Scholars: since both SHERM and Wipf and Stock attract top academicians, researchers, and innovators, your article will appear alongside some of the greatest minds in the study of religion and ministry, thereby enhancing (or propelling) your scholastic career.
16) Copyright Retention & Non-Restrictive Licensing: When publishing an article through SHERM, authors are able to retain copyright privileges over their research. Likewise, SHERM is a non-restrictive licensing publication, which means authors (as copyright owners of their research) are allowed to share and repost their article on any website of their choosing.
17) Digital Archiving: All articles published with SHERM are digitally backed up using Internet Archive, a non-profit library that catalogues and compiles millions of free books, journal articles, movies, software, music, websites, and more. Likewise, every article in SHERM is backed up using EBSCO's "Academic Search Ultimate," as well as other social media platforms, such as Academia.
18) Dimensions Altmetric Tracking: Every article in SHERM is provided with a "Dimensions Badge" icon on the article's webpage, which calculates a set of article-level metrics (e.g. the number of times the article has been cited in its history, the number of times the article has been cited in the last two years, and by whom). It also displays the article's "Relative Citation Ratio," which indicates the performance of the article when compared to other publications in the same field of study, as well as the article's "Field Citation Ratio," which displays the article's citation performance in comparison to older publications of the same age. The Dimensions Badge will even indicate whether the article has reached the top 10, 5, or 1 percent of highly-cited articles when compared to other publications of a similar age, publication year, and research field. Clicking the Dimensions Badge will also allow authors and readers the ability to search over 97 million publications and view billions of scholarly connections between other publications in order to analyze both an article's academic and wider social impact. The search engine also displays information about an article's funding, publications, policy, patents, and grants.
19) Free Print Marketing & Distribution: As members of Wipf and Stock Publishers, SHERM journal is marketed in and distributed to multiple agencies, including Logos Bible Software, Bowker's Books in Print, Ingram Content Group, Baker & Taylor (Yankee Book Peddler), and Christian Book Distributors. Each printed issue of SHERM will be available for purchase through the following book distributors: Wipf and Stock, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Walmart, Christianbook.com, Better World Books, Abe Books,BAM! Books-a-Million, and Indie Bound.